City Beach Primary School buildings and facilities have been developed over the years. The school is very proud of its achievements and resources which include more than 4 hectares of grassed areas and purpose built areas for Art, Music, Science and a Library.
City Beach Primary School opened on 4 July 1956 with 70 students in attendance. First day teachers were Mr Fred Hollings, Headmaster and Mrs Gladys Abrahamson, Assistant on supply. The school was officially opened by the Minister for Education, Mr Hegney on 2 November 1957. The opening was held in conjunction with a fete.
The school’s enrolments grew steadily reaching a peak in 1969 of over 480 children.
When the school opened there was no electricity and no sealed playgrounds. Initially there were just three classrooms. Water was provided from overhead tanks. Power was not installed until subdivision of the land surrounding the school at the beginning of 1961 and connection to the water mains only occurred on 19 May 1966.
Between 1959 and 1967, five new classrooms were constructed to meet the demands of increasing enrolments.
On 19 July 1967 an Extraordinary General Meeting of the P&C Association was held at the Floreat Surf Club. At this meeting a motion was approved giving authority to the Executive Committee to proceed with the building of a Hall – Library -Canteen complex on the school site. The School Library and Canteen were funded and the building arranged by the P&C in 1968. The new library was used for the first time on 18 June 1968. On 8 July 1968 another school milestone was reached when the Canteen opened for business, 350 lunch orders were placed.
In 1996 Rooms 1 and 2 were renovated for the commencement of the new full time 5 year old pre-primary unit. An internal wall was removed to make a larger room and a kitchenette installed. In 1997 the full time 5 year old pre-primary class commenced at the school site, moving from the premises on Boronia Crescent.
All asbestos roofing was removed between 18 December 1997 and 20 January 1998.
The school’s Undercover Assembly area was officially opened by Dr E Constable MLA on 16 October 2000.
In 2008, a City Beach Primary School Building Fund was launched to ensure the continued development of the school facilities.